When it comes to building a brand-new home, the options for each part of the property are endless. Whether it’s fixtures, colours, materials – it’s easy to get caught up and overwhelmed. At New Edge Homes, we want to make your choices easier by letting you know the difference between the options that you’re weighing up. If you haven’t built before, it’s important to understand what you choose for a large portion of your home – the roof.
People often get so wrapped up with the interior of the home that the humble roof is given less thought. Because the roof is the shield of your home and is impacted by whether, we believe that it’s an imperative part of the build. It truly does impact comfort and that’s why we want you to know the factors that sway homeowners toward either metal or tile roofing.
Why Choose Metal Roofing
- Metal is preferred in bushfire-prone areas, since they offer more seal on the roof than tiles.
- Metal is versatile and lightweight, making it a preference for architectural designs.
- Metal roofing comes in a variety of colours and offers easy maintenance.
Why Choose Tile Roofing
- Concrete tiles have an incredible lifespan. Metal roofing will still withstand harsh weather for 30-40 years, but tiles can forgo that and sustain its use for up to 50 years (but you should always check warranty with the supplier).
- Tile roofs offer incredible thermal and acoustic insulation.
- You have the choice between terracotta and concrete tiles, which each offer a timeless, traditional look to your home.
Other Factors To Consider
- Both roofing types will cater for solar panels, so you can save on energy with either metal or tiles.
- It is important to note that pre-selected facades can sometimes have a metal or tile roof implemented in their design. Be sure to get advice from your sales consultant about what’s included and what you can change, if desired.
- With either material, you shouldn’t be needing to change your roofing for quite a few decades. Consider your environmental factors and whether tiles or metal is more suitable for the weather in your area.
- When it comes to choosing for appearance, there’s no right or wrong! Tiles generally give off a more traditional aesthetic while metal is often suitable for a modern home. Each homeowner will have a different personal preference and that’s what makes each home unique.
Find out more information on our roofing options by speaking to a friendly New Edge Homes Sales Consultant today!